Sunday, 20 November 2016

Hitomi Shida: 260 Knitting Patterns

Hitomi Shida Japanese stitch library on Absoknittinglutely

Social media is a great thing. Without it I wouldn't know most of you and my days would be duller. I wouldn't be able to stay in touch with friends from the past as easily and I wouldn't know what's going on in their lives.

The internet has made connecting with people so much easier and it is strange to think that there is a whole generation of people now who never had to do without smartphones and the internet. Networking is easier, too, and last week the internet helped me get my hands on a book I had wanted for some time.

Japanese stitch patterns for knitting by Hitomi Shida

As you know, I blogged about a Japanese stitch library by Hitomi Shida that's on my wishlist. Someone on Instagram saw this and told me there was a copy of it on Etsy. I quickly had a look and, yes, there it was! It was the Chinese version of the Japanese book, sent from Hong Kong. I didn't hesitate, ordered the only copy, and it arrived yesterday.

Charted knitting stitch patterns

This is as good a book as I had hoped it would be. 260 intricate stitch patterns fill its pages and there are ideas for scarves, hats and socks. The stitch patterns are charted so you need to be a somewhat confident knitter who is used to reading charts without any further help. There are a few symbols I may need to look into a bit more, but luckily there are photo tutorials for some of the more complex stitches at the back of the book. I can't read a word of it, but the images help a lot and if you have knitted for a while, you will probably have no problems getting on with these patterns.

Knitting tutorial in Chinese

I heartily recommend this book. Japanese stitches are so very intricate and beautiful. If you like them and easily knit with charts, try and find a copy of this book. I can see why it is so popular and I am very grateful to the person who pointed me in the right direction so I could get my hands on it. Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. Aren't Japanese stitch dictionaries so swoon-worthy? I have one as well, and while I find that some of the sample are knit in odd yarn choices (that sort of obscure the design), overall they are so amazing and I love the balance and intricacy of the stitches. Smart move, snagging that book when you had the chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started knitting, people in my knit club were always talking about Japanese pattern books and Be ause I never saw one, I had no idea what all the fuss was about. Now I know! Those stitch patterns are very different from most and you can often tell they're Japanese just
      by looking at them, I think. I'm so glad I got the book.

      Delete
  2. The photos look gorgeous. It's tempting to look around for a copy! I really like how they show how to taper or widen a piece in pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tapered pieces surprised me as well. These patterns will be really useful for designs of all kinds. Can't wait!

      Delete
  3. I've just found a french copy on amazon. If it's still there on payday I might just grab it. My french isn't very good, but it's certainly a lot better than my japanese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say go for it! There isn't much writing in it as most pages are just full of charts and pictures. It's a very good purchase.

      Delete