Saturday, 12 November 2016

On My Christmas Wishlist


The countdown has begun and people are either very excited about Christmas or dreading it right now. I fear I am one of those who absolutely love Christmas and the build-up to it. Sorry! (Not sorry.)

Have you been asked yet about what gifts you would like this year? I have and was surprised that my first thought was: "Not more yarn!" You see, my stash is full to bursting. I have already had to buy an extra box for my latest purchases and I do intend to use up some of them before I add any more. So I hope I won't get any yarn this year, no matter how much I love it.

So in a world where I didn't yet have a stash, what would I want this year? 

1. In my last post you will have read that I treated myself to a bottle of Soak. I chose my favourite scent, Celebrate, but there is one I have been wanting to get for a long time. I am fairly sure that it was Fig that I liked so much when I tried a sample at the Edinburgh Yarn Fest this year. So that is definitely an essential on my list.

2. This month I also got my hands on a Madelinetosh Unicorn Tail in the Jade colourway and I loved it. These miniskeins are just big enough to yield 4 hexipuffs for the Beekeeper's Quilt, which is perfect for me. I would love a few more of these to get on with my quilt and enjoy the soft smooshiness that is Madelinetosh.

3. Oops, that was yarn, wasn't it? Well, I can't resist it. And there is another yarn I would like to have some more of: Ysolda's Blend No. 1 is beautifully soft and was a revelation when I discovered it in Edinburgh. I didn't expect it to be this good at all, but now I want more of it to make a shawl. I still have a hank of it in my stash and am waiting for the right project (or more yarn) to come along.

4. There is a knitting stitch library that I have been searching for for a long time. I haven't been able to find a copy of it, sometimes only missing it by a day before it sold out. This elusive book is a Japanese stitch library by Hitomi Shida. It's very popular and seems quite rare and I can see why. The stitch patterns are amazingly intricate and so different from most things you will see in other books. I'm not giving up hope, though. One day it shall be mine!

Tell me what's on your wishlist this year! Is there anything you have had difficulty getting your hands on, too?

2 comments:

  1. I'm torn between a skein winder or several smaller gifts (from my daughter). There are only the two of us, so we don't do much at Christmas, just a nice meal and presents. Oh, and the Dr Who special. If I go for smaller gifts, I quite fancy some St Kilda lace yarn from Blacker Yarns. Or maybe some pure silk from Debonnaire. I have a gorgeous Semele shawl made from her silk yarn. Dd and I are of to the Knitting and Stitching show in Harrogate in two weeks so I'll be looking around there too.

    I've just started sewing, so I'll be looking at fabric too. Fat quarters for an autumn coloured quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Liz! A skein winder is very helpful, I agree. I am always surprised by their price because they don't look as if they'd be very costly. I got my first one secondhand and it had a broken arm, so I had to hold it in place while winding. A few years ago I replaced it, but I am not sure if it is any better.

      Your Christmas sounds good to me, nice and quiet. We also watch the Dictor Who Christmas special every year. This year Mark and I wil be by ourselves, which I am looking forwrad to because it means I get to do all the cooking.

      Delete