Sunday, 18 December 2016

More Opal Advent Calendar Yarn


9 more days have passed, 9 more mini-skeins of Opal yarn have jumped out of the Advent Calendar to join my stash.

There is an array of colours, many featuring blues and greens as well as purple. At the start I wondered if all Opal calendars had the same colourways in them, but now I am not so sure. I have seen other people's mini-skeins and they are quite different. To be honest, I am still hoping for a nice red skein similar to one I saw another knitter get. I am a bit bored of the greens and blues of my own calendar now. Still, I do not regret buying it and would do it again in order to get a move on with my Beekeeper's Quilt.


Even though it is the 18th already, I haven't started knitting any hexipuffs. So the yarn is waiting patiently in my stash till all skeins are out of the box. There is no chance I will knit all of them in one go, so the quilt will slowly grow as it has done over the past 5 years. There's no rush after all.

The mini-skeins have me wondering how a pair of socks would look, made from random colourways. I think it would look very nice, actually. I can also imagine knitting a jumper in this way, but I suspect you would need a few more calendars to get all the yarn together!


4 comments:

  1. I see what you mean about the red, but it's great how they all seem to go together -- always something that make me nervous with variegateds.

    Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would have been too risky for me if I hadn't had a project in mind for these skeins already. Since they will be part of a blanket, it's not a problem if they are too wild and variegated. At least I hope so!

      Delete
  2. I was wondering, .. how is the yarn? Is it soft or a bit scratchy ? Because I was thinking of doing it this year too and would love to make a shawl with the yarn, but only when it is not too scratchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carin! These yarns are like ordinary sock yarn, really. Not too soft, but I don't find them particularly scratchy either. They soften a little more after washing a few times.I am not sure I would wear something made from this yarn around my neck, but a shawl to just go over the shoulders would work.

      Delete