Sunday, 23 July 2017

I Think I Have a Problem


It's inevitable: knitters have knitting books. I do, too, though not as many as I would like, and my collection is a mix of excellent resources, simple pattern books, and everything in-between. As a spinner, I also own a few books about wool and spinning techniques.

But there is an issue: I have all these books, but apart from looking at the pictures, I have read hardly any of them. I think I have a problem.

I love looking through my books and I should devote more time to some of them. When I find a new one, it goes one of two ways:

1. The mathematical daze: There is a lot I could learn from the book and I start reading about how to ensure perfect fit and use the formula to calculate this, that and the other, and my eyes just glaze over. I suspect it is the maths rather than anything else. Maths has never been my friend and just the sight of numbers makes me nervous.
2. Theory vs practice: I read the book, take everything in, and have a lot of theoretical knowledge - but I rarely put any of that knowledge into practice. This seems like a waste of time, although it is good to know that the knowledge is there should I ever need it.

Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get into one of my mostly unread books and tackle it properly. But what about you? Are you the better-read knitter? Is there a book you would never part with? Perhaps there's something I need to add to my shelf... and eventually read.

1 comment:

  1. When The Principles of Knitting was re-published, I special-ordered a copy. I don't think I've looked at it since the day I got it!

    I do like to read my knitting books. Sometimes the best bits are by-the-ways in the introduction or afterword. Then there's Alice Starmore's wonderful essay at the start of her Fair Isle book, which is more emotional to read than some fiction.

    I do book culls from time to time, but overall I'm happy with my library.

    ReplyDelete