Sunday, 17 September 2017

3 Reasons For the Knitting Granny Myth


I know, I know. I heard that sigh.

The most common reaction from fellow knitters upon hearing "grannies" and "knitting" in the same sentence is a sigh of resignation and rolling of eyes. Most knitters I now, if not all of them, started knitting when they were quite young. Some were children, others picked it up in their late teens or early twenties. By comparison, I began quite late at 29, if I remember correctly.

So where does this common idea come from that only old people knit? Here's what I think may be  some of the reasons why the knitting granny myth still prevails.


1. They are our teachers

There are several ways people first learn to knit and most of the time, though not always, they have a teacher. This may be an actual teacher at school for those who studied Home Economics, but often we learn from an older relative. It comes as no surprise that mothers and grandmothers would be the most likely people to teach us to knit.

2. Knitting takes time

An older person has many skills to pass on and seems the most likely teacher, but this may not be the only reason they are associated with the craft. Knitting takes time and in these times when everyone needs at least one job to make ends meet, in addition to other commitments, sitting down for a spot of knitting isn't always possible. Generally, retirees have more time, so they may be seen knitting more often than younger people. Of course, younger knitters still find the time, but the perception is that grannies (never grandpas, of course) have little else to do and can spend their days knitting.

3. Women as primary homemakers

Similarly, the idea of women as the primary homemakers and men as the breadwinners still prevails. So women are thought to be the ones who make the home cosy, do the cooking and baking, tend to the garden, and pursue crafts like knitting, crochet and sewing. This idea is still ingrained in most of us and often goes hand in hand with the idea of knitting grannies. 


I think it will take time to overcome these preconceptions we have about knitters, if they'll ever change. In the meantime, younger knitters can look forward to one day being granny knitters - I doubt we'll stop just so we an put an end to the myth!


1 comment:

  1. My aunt, although not a granny, is still knitting at ninety. And I am sitting here right now, teaching my daughter to knit.
    I'll certainly be a knitting granny one day ;-)

    ReplyDelete